Tuesday, February 5, 2008

The Flip Side of Marxism – Freedomism?

I agree with Karl Marx’s basic idea that there are inherent flaws to Capitalism that will eventually cause its demise. I try to think of demise as transformation, rebirth, or at least- not the end.

The inherent flaws are basically the war between classes. Eventually there are so many more poor people they just destroy the rich and it’s like Oceania. This terrifies the rich and so they set upon the good poor people to control them. That’s not the Marx I agree with. That is Marxism- i.e. tyranny.

I agree with Ferris Bueller’s aversion to most isms, as I think most isms lead to tyranny, not because of the ism itself but because of the isms utility in massing power towards a particular end, which seems to always centralize and thus lead to tyranny. Oversimplification, perhaps, but not oversimplificationism, which is another topic, but brief I presume.

Luckily freedom, the opposite of tyranny, is not an ism. Ever heard of freedomism?

I don’t think that greedy rich people are the whole problem. Rapacious, unhinged, off-the-hook consumerism gone mad is the greatest threat, as it degrades the planet and humankind, thrusting the hopes for human progress into disposability and programmed uselessness.

Greedy folks can't help but want more, rich or poor, just one has more than the other. I am afraid it is biology. Good argument for massive manmade genetic reprogramming of the species, but not good enough I hope.

I wonder if the ability to withstand the onslaught of media-managed consumer appetite exists. I wonder if the desire to resist overwhelming temporary temptations and the daily manufacture of our own consent exists. I feel so weak at times.

But I am sure that, considering all of the time and effort being spent to make sure the human race is as marginalized and manipulated as possible, that were these Herculean efforts at controlling mass thought and behavior shut down for anything longer than a 24-hour news cycle something interesting might well happen.

Perhaps the 'class war' would then be seen as the ghastly embrace between lust for power and the placid satiety of powerlessness, with progress squished and suffocating between the two. I wish it could draw a deep breath and push away from the global codependency maintained through the sorcery of societry and the steel reality of statecraft.

I hope the flip side of Marxism may prove to be the notion that along with the inherent flaws in our system is an inherent perfection that will guarantee the transformation of society into something better.

I wonder if the constant barrage that reinforces the descent of man to the lowest point of beastial existence might be somehow silenced so that the eyes of progress might open, recognize it's terrible condition, draw a mighty breath, and push away from the promise of profitable armageddon.

I know it can be done one at a time, regardless of the reach of our wireless connections. But if is could be done all at once for everyone- like a timeout so the human race can clear its head.

I am sure it would be simultaneously noble and terrifying. But then so is freedomism, I presume.

I think I need a vacation.

4 comments:

Tyler H said...

I don't think I believe we actually have any "poor" in our society anymore. I suppose it depends on how you define "poor".

Charlotte said...

I think that is the first intelligent
"conversation" that includes the words "I agree with Ferris Bueller..." =)

Tyler H said...

How is the little one doing? Its been a long time....

Tyler H said...

I cant believe you aren't posting right now, with what is going on in Serbia and Kosovo right now. I don't know much about it. I think I pretty clearly remember President Clinton specifying that the USA did not support any separatist movement there, yet it was that effort that started the recent conflict there and the violence dramatically INCREASED after we forced out the Serbian army. As I understand it the Muslims in that area have been trying to take control of those lands for a LONG time, and they land is kind of the "homeland" of Serbs? anyway they have a lot of sacred site there? I know I don't have a very good understanding of this history or recent actions. I would think, especially with the book you just read, you could really help us understand this much better.